It finally arrived the other day and I put it up for a test drive with a recipe for Vietnamese waffles. Vietnamese waffles are traditionally made with coconut milk rather than butter for a lovely soft texture with a sweet creamy taste.
Makes 4 or 5, depending on size of waffle iron
1 cup plain flour, sifted
½ cup sugar
1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon of white sesame seeds
1 egg, separated
300ml can of coconut cream
2 teaspoons vanilla or pandan leaf extract
- Put all dry (first six ingredients) ingredients into a bowl.
- Use the whisk to combine the egg yolk, coconut milk, butter, and extract of choice. Beat the egg whites until firm peaks form.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and use a spatula to gently fold the flour in.
- Once the flour has been incorporated, gently fold in the egg whites. If the resulting batter looks lumpy, that's okay. Expect the batter to be thick. Avoid over-stirring or the waffles may end up too chewy.
- Set aside batter while the waffle iron is on pre-heat mode.
- Use a ladle to pour enough batter over oiled and pre-heated waffle iron, spreading the batter with the ladles so it fills all the grooves.
- Cook waffle to your desired browning level settings. Use a pair of bamboo skewers (or wooden chopsticks) to loosen the waffle and lift up from iron and set aside on a warm plate - that's if they don't get eaten straight after by hungry mouths :)
|Fresh hot waffles - yummo|
The waffle iron produced lovely waffles, not too thick and soft when hot out of the iron but crisps up when left to cool. I found that setting 3 were more than enough for my liking for the browning level of my waffles .
They tasted divine and my cravings are now satiated. Clean up was a cinch with the non-stick surface and no spill grooves of the waffle iron - a few quick wipes with a damp towel and I was done.
|Love easy to clean gadgets|
I'm going to try other recipes next time I make waffles to see which I like best. What's your favourite waffle/pancake flavour?
Cuisinart waffle iron - RRP A$99.95 at David Jones and good kitchen stores.
Recipe adapted from: http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/